Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

No Lightnings During Storms - Global Hack

by Numenor Posted 14th Apr 2007 at 12:10 AM - Updated 14th Apr 2007 at 12:31 AM by Numenor

54 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 50 Feedback Posts, 3 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 3
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 16th Apr 2007 at 12:50 PM Last edited by Aurelia : 16th Apr 2007 at 12:59 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
Aurelia - Thanks for reporting! So, it was a "generic" lightning, not a bolt striking an object or sim, right?

Yes, it was..and it kept happening, like during the next rainstorm on the next sim day. It is no bother to me, because personally I don't have epilepsy, but I took the hack out as I was getting some weird sim-freezing/jumping things, and I wanted to see if that was it (I do have several other hacks in my game-but that was the newest one), but I can put it back in and get it to rain some more, to see if it is still doing it. OH...it was summer, if that makes any difference. I have never used the weather machine, I suppose I could try it out on a test lot...or should I stick to the same one? It was a new residential lot I had set up to play for a forum hood. A rather large hood, actually.

I'm only telling you as much as I can think of because I have NO idea how any of this stuff is done, and I would think to you maybe details would help? If not, let me know. I still think this is fantastic, and I hope I am the only one this has happened to! I haven't seen too much feedback here as far as actually using it, just trying to help out (espacially as it wouldn't affect me if it happens)! Is there any particular testing scenario that would help?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#27 Old 17th Apr 2007 at 12:50 AM
Mmmhhh... I still couldn't find (examining the code) any other instance of the lightnings, beside the ones I've already removed...
Thanks for the new info, though; I'll try to create a lot like yours, and experience a "natural" storm in summer.

I actually doubt that my hack is working right in your game...
If you are willing to help, please do this:

1) Move the entire Downloads folder to the desktop
2) Create a new, empty Downlaods folder, and put only my hack in
3) Start the game and play the residential lot you mentioned (of course, the custom content of your lot won't show up properly...)
4) When finished, exit the lot without saving
5) Restore your Downloads folder to its original location.

Thanks

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 20th Apr 2007 at 10:00 PM Last edited by onespiceybbw : 20th Apr 2007 at 10:03 PM. Reason: misspelling
i'm still having flashes in my game. they're not as intense or as frequent as before, but definitely there. this was in the pleasantview neighborhood.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 21st Apr 2007 at 2:26 AM Last edited by Aurelia : 21st Apr 2007 at 3:32 AM. Reason: additional info
Ok, will do, sorry, my kid had to go to hospital, so I've been otherwise occupied! I'll try it here in a few.

EDIT: that was interesting, no flashes! (which is great) Must be a conflict with another hack, or some other download? Do you think it would be a global hack or a "regular" one? I can give you a list of what I currently have, if you like.

My OTHER thought: I have an Nvidia 7600 card and Vista. I was having problems with the compatability thing, but today they sent me a note saying to download their beta driver. I did, and now the game works almost perfectly. Maybe it was a vista/nvidia thing? I didnt think of that originally.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#30 Old 21st Apr 2007 at 2:39 PM
Aurelia, thanks for your continuing reports. Keep your eyes open, and tell us if you discover a conflict with some other hack, thanks.

Best wishes to your kid!

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Field Researcher
#31 Old 23rd Apr 2007 at 3:38 AM
The mod has been working for me, my sim got hit by the lightening during a storm and there was no flash at all. I just hear the noise of the lightening and then the sim looks all burned. Thank you again for this.

Shawnee
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 23rd Apr 2007 at 9:34 PM
i was still seeing flashes of lightning today (monday) but i noticed they were all the same sequence (a big flash and a little flash). i couldn't figure out why it was still flashing until i gave my sims simwardrobe's wrath of the gods tiki figure and the lightning storm it generated caused the exact same sequence of flashes, over and over. i took the tiki god out of my game, and the flashes were gone (i did see a bolt after that, but there was no flash with it). so i'm thinking that people who have a problem with the flashes should also steer clear of the tiki god and probably anything else that "makes" lightning. common sense, probably, but the lightning was still irritating me.

;-)
Mad Poster
#33 Old 25th Apr 2007 at 7:05 PM
I really don't think this hack can easily cause a conflict... :D

Thanks for your smart hack!
Test Subject
#34 Old 26th Apr 2007 at 10:02 AM
Thank you for this, Numenor. I don't have epilepsy, but I do suffer from migraine, and things like the lightning flashes can help set off an attack. I do think Maxis should have provided a simple way of turning off the lightning when starting the game, though, as they are obviously well aware of epilepsy triggers (even back in Sims 1 days they issued warnings in the handbooks.)
Inventor
#35 Old 11th May 2007 at 10:14 AM Last edited by XTS : 12th May 2007 at 2:09 AM. Reason: lightening? lightning? lol ~ and additional info (EDIT)
Hey there Numenor!!

Been thinking of all the help you've given and the stuff you've made but had no idea you'd been even busier than I knew of! I'm impressed!

I, myself have been busy reorganizing what I told you I was trying to get together.. Somewhat successfully so my spirits have been better! :D

I also managed to get my desktop going again! Got myself vista premium. Once you get the hang of it, it's alright I tell ya! Of course it still has the nags.. Doesn't all of the OS have that anymore?

Anyhow, I wanted to say thanks for this hack. I've had a major problem with lightning(sp?)! First a sim, then a tree. Have been wondering about JWoods and what has happened to him and his, too. And now I read.. *blush* I should've read first but was rushing off to play (I don't always do this, just *sometimes*). It removes only animation. Which is still great. My mom may visit whilst I'm playing besides it bothers my head. Thanks again!

Well, gonna go play the sims.. You know, with 2 gig of ram and 2 cpus there is no lag during regular play with settings up high Gotta love it! I had to stop playing a while due to that lag.. Drove me batty, and some.

Have a good one!! You take care of you and yours and I'll catch ya later..
Xts

(EDIT)
Numenor, zeph, I'd not thought of the epilepsy problem with the lightning(sp?) but should've. My mom has it, so does an uncle. That's a good point. Why didn't they put a warning on it and an option to turn it off?

EDIT2: Even with my problems with comprehension *blush* I've managed to spread the word a bit.. I'll also tell my mom as when she gets her pc up to par she's going to slowly gather the sims 2 games. She has a few now
Thanks again!

(Quote) ~ "If it isn't one thing, it's going to be another. It is usually one thing. Oh man, is it a mother" (The Mother of All Things) - PB
Forum Resident
#36 Old 13th May 2007 at 2:01 AM Last edited by jocaswell40 : 13th May 2007 at 2:21 AM.
thank you

i don't have eperplesy but the lightning bothers me when it flashes across the screen it puts me in shock. so this may help me too.

What about the thousands of wonderful men and women who are fighting this war without any of the credit or the glory that always goes to those lucky few who just happen to get shot?
Test Subject
#37 Old 21st Jun 2007 at 7:40 PM
Numenor, you are a ModFather and a wonderful person. :lovestruc
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 26th Jun 2007 at 7:26 PM
I don't need this, but this is amazingingly kind of you to make this hack so other people can play Seasons and not need to worry! Maxis really should have thought the lightening thing through!
Good work!!

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- Fear of long words.
This is how long I spend playing The Sims 2
Wow, my head stopped my body from getting really hurt on that! Johnny Knoxville
Test Subject
#39 Old 18th Aug 2007 at 12:41 AM
What's a storm without seeing lightning? Gosh I love storms. But yes thank you for making it for the people who do want this. Good job.
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 23rd Aug 2007 at 9:31 PM
wow my friend would really need this he wasout of school for 3 weeks because of a seizure

i love kingdom hearts!
And Riku says:the dark side does not have cookies!!!So stay on the light side theres loads of 'em!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#41 Old 2nd Sep 2007 at 11:51 PM
dejavugurl - I agree, but some people just need this hack, it's not a simple matter of tastes...

kingdomheartsgirl111 - I'm sorry for your friend's problem, but hey, 3 weeks out of school it's not that bad, lol

Test Subject
#42 Old 26th Oct 2007 at 10:46 PM
This mod helps other issues also, such as vertigo/motion sickness (I can't play 1st person games and have to keep my refresh rates pretty high). Sometimes lights of any kind flashing will make me physically ill and it can take days to feel normal again. Having the option to add the mod is very helpful, thanks Numenor, for sharing. We sure love you around here!
Test Subject
#43 Old 19th Nov 2007 at 7:05 PM
I Like this Mod it cares for people kudos!... hmm wondering if you'll make a No Thunder Sound mod since usually I play the sims while using my headsets and the Random Thunder Out loud just makes me Jump... its irritating
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 17th Jun 2008 at 5:23 AM
I have epilepsy and I want to thank you for this. It's great to see.
Forum Resident
#45 Old 15th Jul 2008 at 12:03 AM
Would you consider a hack for suppressing lightnings - and the horrible consequences - at all?

Thanks for your attention!

"If you suspect you won't like the answer, then don't make the question"
Field Researcher
#46 Old 16th Jul 2008 at 10:47 PM
I never really cared about the lightning much until my beautiful cherry trees were desecrated and reduced to a smoldering pile of ash a few days ago... geez. Once again you have saved me. Thanks for all of your hard work.

Come to the dark side. We have cookies.
Field Researcher
#47 Old 7th Feb 2009 at 1:30 AM Last edited by DemonOfSarila : 7th Feb 2009 at 9:35 PM.
Yeah, that probably is useful for people who couldn't play season due to the flashing. I'm only minor to sorta annoyed by it myself. I have a habit of pausing the in the middle of it, getting a white screen, so I have to unpause, wait, then pause again to tell my sims to do whatever it was. Not the biggest annoyance or anything, but still. So thanks for the lack of flashing.

I was actually wondering if there was a way to stop the death/object damage/object on FIRE ('OMG'-says all my sims) and to stop the rain/snow overlay? I mean really, there's other way to indicate that it's raining/slowing besides slowing down my computer..... Like is that even possible to do? I don't really care about the sound, because I don't listen to the noises the game makes anyway (they like all get on my nerves as a rule, voices, music, sound effects, you name it), but the thing catch on fire everyone freak got old fast, and my computer has enough lag as is.....

Would replacing the file/thing it uses as the overlay fix that? or some how messing with how it goes away while u're in a house, make it always think you're in a house? I really have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm just wondering if that's do-able, because I really wish they had made it turn-off-able. A small picture placed somewhere on the screen to indicate the current weather would work fine for me.
Test Subject
#48 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 11:20 PM
Thats so nice of you to do that for them!
I hate my whole screen going white
half way through game play 0_0

Thanks!
Test Subject
#49 Old 28th Nov 2009 at 6:17 PM
I had never thought of just how damaging that could be to a person. I've gotta say that was insanely thoughtful of you to spend your time making this. Reading the other posts, specifically the one about the flash triggering a migraine, I'll make sure to tell my boyfriend about this. He suffers from migraines and anything to help prevent one would be lovely.
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 6:00 AM
I am epileptic and I really appreciate this mod. I too had a hard time playing with the flashing, but this made it safe for me to play. Thanks so much, you are the biggest sweetheart that I have ever run into since starting playing Sims2.

Just started playing Sims 2 again after a very, very, veryyyy long time!
I also use Poser Pro 11!
Page 2 of 3